Table of Contents
Concrete piles essentially consist of concrete as the chief element.
Concrete piles may be further classified into precast concrete piles and cast-in-situ concrete piles.
A pile foundation is a type of deep foundation that comprises a long, slender column used to transfer the load coming from the superstructure to the lower-lying ground through skin friction or an end-bearing mechanism.
In general, a pile foundation is a long cylinder usually made up of steel or concrete and driven deep into the ground to act as a base or support to the structure built on it.
✔ Sometimes, timber is also used as a pile foundation.
✔ A Pile foundation is mostly used when the upper soil layer is weak and does not have the sufficient bearing capacity to withstand the imposed load by the structures.
1. Precast Concrete Piles
Pre-cast concrete piles are manufactured in a casting yard and cured properly. Piles are then transported to the place where they are installed.
They can be driven to a length of 27 m and can have a capacity of up to 60 tons.
Usually, rectangular piles are cast in horizontal form whereas circular piles are cast in vertical form.
Pre-cast piles may be reinforced or unreinforced.
i. Advantages of Pre-Cast Piles
Some of the advantages of pre-cast piles can be listed as follows:
1. Pre-cast piles have high strength and stability.
2. They can withstand a load of high intensity.
3. Precast piles have high resistance to corrosion and biological defects and remain unaffected by groundwater.
4. Such piles can be used in almost all types of construction including marine construction.
5. Precast concrete piles have high durability and are cost-effective.
ii. Disadvantages of Pre-Cast Piles
Some of the disadvantages of pre-cast piles can be listed as follows:
1. The change of length of such piles and mobilization is difficult.
2. Driving the piles requires heavy and advanced equipment.
3. There is a high risk of breakage of piles during the handling or driving operation.
|Read Also: Concrete Piles
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?