Generally, we neglect the ruts and road maintenance which leads to complete failure of the road section which needs re-construction and this costs 3 or more times of maintenance cost. Maintenance of road brings immediate and dramatic benefit through improved road safety, comfort and low vehicle operation cost.
Hence, pothole patching plays a vital role and can be considered as maintenance work. It is generally taken as RECURRENT MAINTENANCE OF ROAD.
Pothole Repair / Pothole Patching
Patch repair is carried out to remove the holes, non-uniformity and waviness of the road structure to make road uniform and also to stop the conversion of small ruts(holes at the initial condition) into bigger holes and digs. This problem generally occurs in Flexible pavement (Bitumen road ). This problem is solved in the following ways :
1. Clean the area along the hole with the broom.
2. Trim it vertically to a regular geometrical shape like square or rectangle.
3. Level the bottom of the hole and remove loose aggregate and foreign materials.
4. Apply tack coat on bottom and sides of holes.
5. Now, apply the patching layer and compact it properly by taping or roller.
6. If the depth of the hole is greater than 7.5cm, Patching layer should be provided in 2 or more layers where each layer should be tamped or rolled properly.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?