Table of Contents
Generally, we neglect the ruts and road maintenance which may lead to the failure of the road which needs re-construction and this costs 3 or more times of maintenance cost.
Maintenance of roads brings immediate and dramatic benefits through improved road safety, comfort, and low vehicle operation cost.
Hence, pothole patching plays a vital role and can be considered maintenance work. It is generally taken as RECURRENT MAINTENANCE OF ROAD.
Pothole Repair / Pothole Patching
Patch repair is carried out to remove the holes, non-uniformity, and waviness of the road structure to make the road uniform and also to stop the conversion of small ruts(holes at the initial condition) into bigger holes and digs.
This problem is solved in the following ways :
1. Clean the area along the hole with the broom.
2. Trim it vertically to a regular geometrical shape like a square or rectangle.
3. Level the bottom of the hole and remove loose aggregate and foreign materials from the sides.
4. Apply tack coat on the bottom and sides of holes.
5. Now, apply the patching layer and compact it properly by tamping or roller.
6. If the depth of the hole is greater than 7.5cm, a patching layer should be provided in 2 or more layers where each layer should be tamped or rolled properly.
|Read Also: Pavement Failure|
Educational Platform Under Naba Buddha Institute