Table of Contents
|Brick is one of the key materials used in the construction of structures. Suitable materials composition leads to the brick’s durability and high strength.|
Brick is the composition of Silica, Alumina, Iron Oxide, Magnesia, Organic matter, etc.
The composition of bricks should be:
|Iron Oxide (Fe2O3)||8%|
1. Composition of Brick Earth
* It is the main principal constituent of every kind of brick. It acts as a cementing material in raw brick.
* It gives plasticity to the earth and makes the brick hard.
* Good brick contains about 30% of alumina.
* Excess alumina may result in the shrink, warp, or crack in the brick on burning or drying.
* Silica imparts hardness to the brick.
* Addition of silica also increases durability and resistance to heat.
* Good brick contains about 55% of silica.
* Excessive silica may lead to brittle or weak bricks.
* When lime is present in small quantities in freely divided states, it reduces the shrinkage of bricks, helps silica melt at a lower temperature, and binds the particles of the brick together, resulting in greater strength of the brick.
* Excess lime causes the brick to melt and lose shape.
* Good brick contains about 1% of lime.
iv. Iron Oxide
* Iron Oxide imparts a red color to the bricks.
* Good brick contains about 8% of Iron oxide.
* It helps silica to fuse at a low temperature.
* A small proportion of magnesium decreases shrinkage and gives a yellow tint to the bricks.
* An excess amount of magnesia causes bricks to decay.
* Good brick contains about 5% of magnesia.
|Read Also: Harmful Ingredients in Brick Earth|
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?