Table of Contents
Glazed bricks may be defined as ejected clay masonry units with ceramic coating combined on their exterior surface. These types of bricks are attractive and durable discover their utilization in exterior as well as interior construction.
Glazed brick units are utilized majorly for wall use like structural walls, partition walls, multi-way walls, or veneers.
1. Features of Glazed Bricks
The features of glazed bricks are as follows:
1. They are ejected double at the time of their production in kilns. Firstly, they are ejected as a component of the preparing process, and secondly for combining the ceramic coating with the brick’s surface.
2. The ceramic finish given to the bricks is available in various standard and particular colors.
3. The surface of glazed brick shapes an impervious layer that is highly forbearing against impact and abrasion.
4. They are tough to stain and graffiti, water, and frost damage, make sure to keep their unity for generations.
5. The code ASTM C 126-99: Standard Specification for Ceramic Glazed Structural Clay Facing Tile, Facing Brick, and Solid Masonry Units explains the information on ceramic glazed bricks utilized for walls.
6. The ceramic glaze is joined to the body of the brick at a temperature above 1500oF, making them an indivisible layer.
7. The various grades and types of glazed bricks as per ASTM standards are provided in Table-1 beneath:
|Grade S (Select)||Utilized where the mortar joints are small|
|Grade SS (Select sized or ground edge)||Utilized where the change of face dimension is narrow|
|Type I (Single-faced units)||Utilized where only one finished face is opened.|
|Type II ( Two-faced units)||Utilized where two opposite finished faces are opened.|
Table-18. ASTM C 126 and C 1405 give the requirement for glazed bricks and the possession of ceramic glaze utilized for preparation.
The main features of glaze material protected in the code are imperviousness, opacity, resistance to fading, resistance to crazing, flame spread, fuel contribution and smoke density, toxic fumes, hardness, and abrasion resistance.
9. Glazed masonry units can be utilized for load-bearing and non-loadbearing wall use.
10. The ceramic glazed bricks are weighty due to the addition coat and are able to resist most harsh weather conditions. It has been utilized frequently in regions with below-freezing temperatures and even in hot areas.
11. The weights of glazed bricks range depending on the raw material, size, preparation process, and quantity of corning. The mean weight of glazed brick that encounters the needs of ASTM C 1405 is provided in Table-2 below:
|Min. Compressive Strength, psi (MPa), Gross Area||Max. Water Absorption by 24-h Cold,%||Max. Saturation Coefficient|
|Avg. of 5 Bricks||Individual||Individual||Avg. of 5 Bricks||Individual|
|Class Exterior||6000 (41.4)||5000 (34.8)||7||0.78||0.80|
|Class Interior||3000 (20.7)||2500 (17.2)|
2. Designs of Glazed Bricks
3. Advantages of Glazed Bricks
The advantages of glazed bricks are as follows:
1. They are highly adaptable. They are found in different shapes, sizes, colors, and finishes.
2. It can be washed utilizing simple soap or water. Hence, it needs the least maintenance.
3. These are prepared out of burned clay and with combined ceramic, they own high resistance against fire.
4. The ceramic layer on bricks increases the brick’s plasticity and bearing. As a result, they become more durable.
5. Glazed bricks can be colored or shaded to look similar to the aesthetics of the surrounding environment.
4. Disadvantages of Glazed Bricks
The disadvantages of glazed bricks are as follows:
1. The preparation of glazed brick takes a lot of energy and effort.
2. The glazing utilized on bricks is very costly.
3. They are costly compared to usual bricks.
However, the preparation of glazed bricks requires a high temperature and needs two-time ejecting. This takes a lot of energy. The glaze matter utilized for the ejecting is very costly and preparing glazed bricks is an expensive product.
|Read Also: Carbon Sucking Concrete|
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?