Bitumen is defined as a solid or semi-solid, black, sticky, ductile substance obtained as an important product from the distillation of crude(raw) petroleum. It is mostly used in the road construction sector as a binding reagent(In bitumen road). Bitumen is also used for waterproofing and many more.
Types of Bitumen:
1) Based on sources:
c) Liquid state
2)Based on Nature
3) Based on use:
a) Road construction
b) Building construction
c) Roofing system
1) It is in solid or semi-solid or liquid states, black and sticky.
2) It melts and gets soften on the application of heat.
3) It is a binder in all types of asphalt(between with inert mineral material).
4) It has low permittivity and high insulation.
1) It is used as a DPC (Damp proof course) in walls, floors, and lining of tanks, swimming pools.
2) It is used for filling expansion joints in leakage.
3) It is used as road-making materials.
4) It is used for making heat-insulating material for fittings.