For the eradication(complete removal) of efflorescence problem the source of ingress of moisture should be determined first, the cause of ingress may be due to defective DPC or absence of DPC or other causes.
Removal of efflorescence
1. The first action is to stop the source of ingress of moisture.
2. The second step should be to remove plaster from both inside and outside and leave it to dry.
3. Then removing the defective bad brick or filling voids with mortar then by cement slurry or cement concrete.
4. Check the mortar joint carefully and removing loose mortar where necessary.
5. Wash the white patches surface with the acidic water and then wash it again with clean water.
6.Plaster both inside and outer surface with cement mortar adding waterproofing admixture.
7. If causes are due to the absence of DPC course or due to failure of DPC; new course of DPC should have to be introduced or replace the defective DPC by the new one. It can also be done by following;
Brushing soluble salts deposited can be removed with a stiff bristle broom. Note that all brushed of materials should be removed by a vacuum cleaner or other means. If the result is not satisfying, scrub with clean water then lightly rinse the surface. Note that adding water may result in further deposits, repeated dry brushing as the deposit appears is probably the best treatment. Insoluble salt deposits cannot be removed by water washing although the use of high-pressure water jet is effective.
b. Using a dilute acid solution
The application of a dil. acid solution is also very effective in most cases and in some cases, it may be the only way. extreme care is required while handling acids. when diluting HCL acid, always add the acid to the water never the reverse.
Ensure good ventilation and also avoid the contact between the acid and the reinforcement. The concrete surface should be cleaned with only diluted acid.
The recommended proportions are 1 part HCL and 20 parts of water. The surface should be saturated always before the application of dilute acid. when applying the acid solution ensure that the surface is surface moist but without any free water is present. Then the applied solution should be allowed to react on the concrete surface for 10-15 minutes. The surface should be thoroughly rinsed and scrubbed with lots of clean water. Repeat rinsing at least twice or until an all traces of the acid solution have been removed. The process may be repeated if required to bring necessary surface finishing.
Our Facebook page: Dream Civil