Table of Contents
Are you struggling to get restful sleep? Maybe you wake up feeling exhausted and spend the day feeling sluggish, regardless of how much coffee you drink. Or perhaps you noticed you suddenly became moody or spaced out. It’s what sleep deprivation looks like, and it’s not a pretty picture.
But here’s the thing: you’re not alone. Many adults experience sleep deprivation due to various reasons like busy schedules or a stressful environment. But, whatever the reason, sleeplessness shouldn’t be normalized.
The good news is you can turn this situation around and improve your sleep quality. So, what’s the secret sauce to get that quality shut-eye each night? The answer is your bedroom design!
Think of relaxation, comfort, and privacy as goalposts you need to reach. Combined with the following bedroom essentials, you can get the perfect sleep sanctuary you deserve!
Crafting The Perfect Sleep Sanctuary: Bedroom Design Essentials
1. Bed and frame
Start with the most important element of your bedroom: The bed, of course! Since it sets the overall look and vibe of the space, finding your dream bed frame and mattress is like winning half the battle. When you have both, picking furnishings and décor will feel like a breeze!
Let’s look at bedframes. You can choose hardwood bedframes with their elegance and durability or go with metal options that offer unique aesthetics at affordable prices. You can also find cushioned bed structures like the Sierra Bed Frame built with padded layers for added comfort.
Up next: your mattress of choice! While a plush, cottony-soft mattress may sound like a dream, experts advise to go with firmer choices because your bed needs to support your body weight. Besides proper support, take into account your sleeping position, any orthopedic requirements and other preferences when exploring your options.
Likewise, consider your bedroom’s size and layout. Look for a bed that provides optimal comfort and functionality without overcrowding the space.
2. Pillows and blankets
Who wouldn’t want comfort from fluffy pillows and smooth blankets after a tiring day? It’s nearly impossible to sleep comfortably without them! So, to get those precious moments of sleep and rest at night, it’s only essential to have the best ones.
Check out how to pick the best pillows and blankets for your sleep sanctuary below:
- Pillows: Shop for a pillow with a loft that matches your sleeping position. You’ll need a high-loft pillow if you prefer sleeping on your side, a mid-loft pillow if you’re a back sleeper, and a thin pillow if you sleep face down.
Do you wake up in the middle of the night soaked in sweat? A cooling pillow could help you with that! This specialized pillow has a cushion and case that promotes air circulation, so it could work wonders if you’re a hot sleeper.
You can also check with your doctor if you need to get pillows with a stiffer texture if you’re struggling with snoring issues. The right pillow height and texture can help position your body to allow more relaxed breathing at night.
- Blankets: Thin or thick? Smooth or fluffy? Light or weighted? The sheer number of blanket options in the market can easily overwhelm anyone! But don’t worry; you’ll have fun exploring what strikes your fancy and what suits your sleeping needs.
Imagine having the right blanket you need on any given day. Sounds like a great idea, right? You can get a light fabric with a smooth texture for hot and humid weather, then have one within reach for those cold nights when you want to curl up in bed and keep all the warmth in.
With the right sleeping essentials, you can have a more peaceful and rejuvenating sleep every night.
When discussing the ideal design for your sleeping area, the importance of having suitable curtains or blinds couldn’t be overstated. Having these window coverings can give you shade from the bright lights and help maintain optimal temperatures in the room.
Moreover, curtains help you feel secure in your personal space as they protect your privacy while you sleep.
4. Décor and other aesthetic elements
Did you know that how your bedroom looks can influence how restful your nights would be? If your sleeping area doesn’t have the qualities that promote comfort and relaxation, it’s time to make changes! Here’s how:
- Check your lighting design: If your current lighting design is too bright, it can disrupt your sleep-wake cycle because the body remains awake with bright lights. You can switch them with dim lights and use blackout curtains to keep the room dark when sleeping.
- Switch the color scheme: If your bedroom contains several elements with bright colors or shiny surfaces, consider switching to a new palette. Earth colors, for one, are generally preferred for bedrooms because they fit understated and laid-back aesthetics. It’s also the perfect chance to use a monochromatic color scheme in muted tones if you want to try it!
- Minimize décor: Looking at your favorite artwork may be fun, but it can be a bit too stimulating, especially if you want to wind down after a long day. Instead, you can add greenery and other understated décor that goes well with the rest of the bedroom design.
Think warm and cozy when you’re designing your sleeping nook. Go for soft, muted, toned down, and natural when adding decor and furnishings, and you’ll never go wrong!
Sometimes, fixing the visual elements in your room may not be enough to make the space relaxing. For one, the noise levels around your bedroom add or take away from the space’s ambiance. If this is the case, consider soundproofing the room. You can also play white noise in the background to create a soothing atmosphere for bedtime.
Spraying your room with a relaxing scent can also add to the vibe you want to achieve in your space. Try lavender, jasmine, or chamomile if you like floral fragrances. You also have bamboo, cedar, or sandalwood options for scents that alleviate stress and promote restfulness.
Putting together a room conducive to sleeping can be done in a snap if you know what you need and where to find it. Also, understand your unique sleeping needs and if there are medical conditions you need to consider. You can beat long, stressful days by having the perfect sleep sanctuary in the comfort of your home!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?